The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's for dinner?

Go down 
+14
Lost Soul
Miss Roulette
Fancy That
Pudding
GirlieGirl
kamikat
TXPoppet
the_librarian
majorwifey
Mimi
Ali
Kittenwithawhip
SusieQT
lindydiva
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
SusieQT
I Really should be Working
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

What's for dinner? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Fancy That wrote:
I'm out of garlic! I can't believe I allowed myself to run out of garlic...

I am too, and I buy it in bulk! I buy a bag of about 100 peeled cloves, and it lasts me about 2 months. I roasted the last five or six this afternoon to put in my hummus.

Tonight we're having leftover steak tossed over a green salad with lettuce, peas and spinach from our garden. I made some potato salad last night as well, so we'll finish that up also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Well, if I have to cook, we'll be having whatever I can get delivered!

I feel like hell and have to travel tomorrow, so it's gonna be sushi delivered or pizza.

(by sushi, I mean cucumber and avocado rolls because I do NOT eat fish or seafood of any kind.)
Back to top Go down
Fancy That
Dipping a Toe in the Water
Fancy That

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 9:07 pm

SusieQT wrote:
Fancy That wrote:
I'm out of garlic! I can't believe I allowed myself to run out of garlic...

I am too, and I buy it in bulk! I buy a bag of about 100 peeled cloves, and it lasts me about 2 months. I roasted the last five or six this afternoon to put in my hummus.

That hummus sounds delish... we have a can of chickpeas awaiting hummus-hood, but the roomie wants to get fresh basil and make a basil and sun dried tomato hummus... I'm going to tell him about the roasted cloves.

Tonight's dinner- well we rectified our garlic situation and I'm making veggie-tofu fried rice. I'm sauteeing cubed (high quality! or it can be bitter) tofu in olive oil, garlic, ginger and basil, and sauteeing red bell pepper, broccoli, crookneck squash, and carrots ro go with it. That will all go into brown rice that's steaming now. And sauteed... I don't feel like using the wok, our stove here is electric. Just not the same.
Back to top Go down
Miss Roulette
Miss Roulette

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 6:21 am

LS does the hummus in our household. The last one I made tasted awful. Using roasted garlic sounds like a really good idea. We need to get some chick peas soaking.

Last night we had bruschetta, lentil salad and potato wedges. Very yummy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophistikitten.net
SusieQT
SusieQT

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 4:28 pm

It is really good and super easy- I roast about 5 large cloves with a bit of olive oil in a pyrex dish in the toaster oven. Once they're cool, they go into the food processor with 2 cans of (drained) chick peas. Add a little parsley, crushed red pepper and lemon juice and then puree with enough olive oil to make it smooth. Voila!
My 3 year old son loves it as well- he eats gobs of it with carrots.

Anyway, tonight I'm making baked chicken alfredo pasta. I'm a little embarassed to admit that my inspiration was a Pizza Hut commercial, but I figured I could make the pasta they were advertising just as easily. I saute boneless chicken breasts in garlic and oil until they're nicely browned and then chop them and add to cooked whole wheat rotini with a parmesan & mozzarella cheese sauce. Bake the whole thing until its nice and bubbly. It's really good and probably a lot better for you than the delivery version.
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:19 pm

SusieQT wrote:
It is really good and super easy- I roast about 5 large cloves with a bit of olive oil in a pyrex dish in the toaster oven. Once they're cool, they go into the food processor with 2 cans of (drained) chick peas.

I tried with tinned chickpeas and it was horrible. I had near perfect results with freshly soaked chickpeas, a few dollops of tahini, a couple of cloves of garlic (raw, but I'll definitely be trying roasted next time), cummin seeds and paprika to sprinkle on at the end.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 am

A salad last night: dark mixed greens, orange bell pepper, thin slices of carrot, cucumber, lots of red cabbage, no fat feta cheese, and marinated green olives. Dressed with sesame dressing & salt and pepper.

Then we went to Thayer Street and stopped in to a cafe to get gelato. I had Nutella. M'mmmm!

Tonight just something really fast; I've got a lot going on.

And Friday...something with sugar snap peas!
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
SusieQT
SusieQT

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 3:00 pm

We're having broiled pan fish (caught by my son last weekend) with rice and salad. Nothing fancy, but it's ready in a hurry (I have a rehearsal tonight).
Back to top Go down
Mina
Mina

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 9:59 am

lindydiva wrote:
Then we went to Thayer Street and stopped in to a cafe to get gelato. I had Nutella. M'mmmm!

I miss Thayer Street sometimes. When I lived nearby, I don't think it was possible to get gelato. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bostonbabydolls.net
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 10:41 am

It's a fairly new spot, a couple of years old, I think. The guys who run it are from Italy.

Isn't there at least one place on Newbury Street where you can get gelato? I know you'll be able to find plenty in the North End! Even at Mike's, I think.

Dinner last night turned out to be a spinach salad with strawberries & mozzarella with spicy peanuts, and a balsamic vinaigrette. Washed down with a great big martini.

Tonight we're going out...don't know where at this point.
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

lindydiva wrote:

Dinner last night turned out to be a spinach salad with strawberries & mozzarella with spicy peanuts, and a balsamic vinaigrette. Washed down with a great big martini.

That sounds just about perfect for a hot night like tonight (the salad too! Wink ). But I don't think it would fly with my meat & potatoes guys...

DH is bringing home a whole case of chicken legs tonight (40 lbs) so I think we'll throw a couple of those on the grill and pack the rest for the freezer. I'll make a salad to go with it- got a recipe for that balsamic vinaigrette?
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 2:35 pm

Here's one (taste as you go):

INGREDIENTS

balsamic vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
dijon mustard
honey or sugar to taste

You'll need a small whisk or a fork, and a small deep bowl or measuring cup.

Put about 1 tsp. of mustard in the bowl, and pour 1/4 c. of vinegar in; whisk together until they're well-blended.

Take up the olive oil, and as you whisk, dribble in a few drops at a time, beating until the oil is incorporated before you add more oil.

Taste to see how much sweetener you'll want...I find that a tsp. of honey or so is usually plenty. It will take more sugar, and sugar won't incorporate as well.

Drizzle in the honey or sugar, whisk, taste (repeat) until it's done to your liking.

A little of that dressing goes a long way; add just a small amount and toss the salad completely before you add more. A dash of freshly grated black pepper and of sea salt adds a nice finishing touch.

BTW, it's a good marinade, too. The sweetener and natural sugars will help with browning, and the vinegar will tenderize.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:19 am

It's been a while since I've done any real cooking, and the next real meal will be on my 1940 Glenwood stove!

Any suggestions for the big day?
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 4:55 pm

How about a roast chicken or game hens? Something that will require a few hours of cooking and will get the house smelling good.

I'm making a wild turkey on Monday (got to get it out and start it thawing tonight) and I'm thinking about trying chestnut stuffing.

Tonight we're having spaghetti with homemade sauce. I put up about eight quart jars the other day and this is the left-over (the jar was only about 2/3 filled so I couldn't can it).
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 4:59 pm

H'mmm. Might do that.

But I still need to figure out this stove. I do know that I have to set it to "broil" for oven and vice versa! Laughing

Also, it runs hot.

The thing I'm really looking forward to playing around with is the warming burners. I have four...perfect to keep a stew going all day, for example.
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am

SusieQT wrote:

I'm making a wild turkey on Monday

Did someone mention Wild Turkey? Mine's a double. Rocks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
SusieQT
SusieQT

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 11:18 pm

Looks like that's the only kind of wild turkey I'll be making tomorrow- it's just going to be too hot to have the oven on all day! Laughing
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Pot roast tonight, as I mentioned on another thread.

I can't wait!

Menu:

Pot roast with carmelized onions, mushrooms, and potatoes & carrots.
Dinner rolls (from a local, incredible bakery, Seven Stars)
Spinach salad
Red wine

(My pot roast recipe is up on my blog today.)
Back to top Go down
GirlieGirl
GirlieGirl

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Sunday I made a big pot of Texas chili (no beans) using some tri-tip steak. The Mister gobbled it up!

Last night, I made Dutch Babies for dinner. Breakfast for dinner!! Mmmm.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Number of posts : 269
Title : Rib Tickler
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 pm

What's a "Dutch Baby"?

Spaghetti w/ Italian sausage, garlic bread, whole wheat angel hair, Iced tea.

Dessert? Maybe peanut butter cup ice cream.
Back to top Go down
GirlieGirl
GirlieGirl

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 10:10 pm

A dutch baby is a kind of baked pancake. My recipe:

3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. whole milk
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
dash of salt
2 T. butter

Heat oven to 350. Put butter in baking dish, and put in oven to melt. Mix together the rest of the ingredients. When oven is heated, pull out baking dish and swirl melted butter to coat pan. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes (depending on how hot your oven heats, and how brown you like the crust). May be served with powdered sugar/lemon juice, jelly or preserves, applesauce, or syrup.

They turn out a bit like the outside of a cream puff, and are quite delicious. My mom made these when I was a kid because my brother is a diabetic. He'd eat his with natural home made applesauce, so virtually sugar free - just watch the amount of carbs.

Tonight is looking like it might be taco salad night.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Number of posts : 269
Title : Rib Tickler
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:43 am

Hmmm... I'm going to have to try the Dutch Baby recipe... I've never had such a thing.

Taco salad is ALWAYS good, especially with home -mixed buttermilk ranch dressing (vs. the bottled - it doesn't taste quite as good).
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 10:18 am

I've no idea what we're having tonight, but we'll have pot roast again next week; we have just enough left over, and it's in the freezer, ready to go.

Friday we're going to a dance, so it's got to be something quick, and Saturday is my husband's birthday. He wants to go out for dinner...but I'll be baking him a cake this week.

H'mm. I think tonight will probably be pasta with some kind of marinara sauce with additional veg.
Back to top Go down
GirlieGirl
GirlieGirl

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:23 pm

I also made peanut butter cookies for dessert. The Mister grabbed four of them off the cooling rack and inhaled them. Sheesh.

(Making more today to send with my Marine nephew who is visiting us on leave. He goes back to Okinawa tomorrow. Sad)
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:50 am

Last night we went out.

Both of us ordered from a special harvest menu.

Pumpkin soup with shallot conserve and pumpkin seeds;
lamb stew with savory bread pudding;

I had pumpkin cheesecake, and my husband had a creme brulee.

I ate half or less than half of my portions and it was still too much...American restaurant portions are ridiculous.

Tonight is leftovers. I'm going to thin the soup with chicken stock and add some chilis and have a salad. Jimmy will probably have more of the stew and some soup.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's for dinner?   What's for dinner? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's for dinner?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next