The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thanksgiving Dinner

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Thanksgiving Dinner Empty
PostSubject: Thanksgiving Dinner   Thanksgiving Dinner Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am

For the first time since we've been married, my husband and I will be having Thanksgiving at home.

Here's the bad part: he's allergic to turkey. Shocked (He once got severe food poisoning from cold turkey on a salad. His body doesn't think much of turkey now.)

But I am still going to roast a turkey breast, and a small ham for him.

I like dressing on the side, and this year read about baking it in muffin tins for maximum crunch. Good idea! I'll have turkey gravy, of course. Mashed potatoes. Blanched julienned carrots, blanched green beans, and baby corn. I am also thinking of making cauliflower in cheese sauce.

Maybe my gratineéd mushrooms, and German coleslaw. Also bread of some kind. We have a very good bakery nearby; I'll get rolls there, probably.

I put out a relish tray with olives, pickles, carrot sticks and celery sticks, and I might make some cranberry bread, too.

For dessert:

Pumpkin hazelnut cheesecake with a gingersnap crust...and I'm thinking too of a cranberry polenta tart and an apple crumble pie with whiskey.

Luckily, we'll have a freezer (as of today, in fact) so I can store the leftovers!

If I do make more than one dessert I'll bake in several small pie pans. They can all be frozen if they're well-wrapped.

We will probably drink a good chardonnay or Champagne with dinner, and hey, it's Thanksgiving...maybe we'll even have cheese, fruit, nuts and port or brandy after dessert.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner   Thanksgiving Dinner Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 10:48 am

Now, for the day after Thanksgiving (my office is closed, for a change), I'll make brunch.

Champagne cocktails, fried ham, potato pancakes and toasted cranberry bread, maybe.

(Yes, I think I will be going running Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday!)
Back to top Go down
Ali
I Really should be Working
Ali

Number of posts : 462
Title : Proud Bad Example
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner   Thanksgiving Dinner Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 8:37 am

Sounds absolutely delicious Lindy! His Nibs lusts after your cauliflower au gratin. I despise that vegetable and refuse to make it.

Your girl after my own heart re: champagne. One can never go wrong with a good bottle of bubbly. I could happily live on Moet. I hope you and your DH have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Such a great way to christen your new home.
Back to top Go down
http://acossylife.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner   Thanksgiving Dinner Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:42 am

Eileen, are you having guests? Set some extra spots, and we'll come to you! Smile
It sounds divine, of course...you're the Consummate Hostess. Where are you putting the freezer? Do you have a basement?

This year, it seems like most of our Family will be Elsewhere, and this morning, I've been toying with the idea of making a reservation at one of the local Inns for Thanksgiving Dinner!

Nothing firm yet, but I guess I need to decide this weekend what to do.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner   Thanksgiving Dinner Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 10:18 am

No guests, but if you show up I'll set a place for you!

It's fun to go out to the inns for dinner, too. We've done that for the past few years, and I like it.

The freezer (which arrived yesterday!) is in the cellar now. My husband also rigged up a much brighter light, so you no longer have to risk falling over all the junk he piled down there. Rolling Eyes

Ali, cauliflower isn't so bad. Tell HIM to make it; core the thing, separate it, and put the pieces into boiling water with a dash of vinegar.

Hand him a cookbook & tell him how to make a cheese sauce, and Bob's your uncle.

Oh, it should drain for a while before it goes into the sauce. It's not a bad idea to make it slightly ahead & undercook, then shock in ice water and drain for at least 20 minutes. It'll finish cooking in the hot sauce.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner   Thanksgiving Dinner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Dinner
Page 1 of 1