The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live365

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Live365 Empty
PostSubject: Live365   Live365 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 5:25 pm

...is a good resource.

Very good! http://www.live365.com/index.live

Check out Radio Dismuke, for example, or any of the stations that specialize in OTR.

Right now I'm listening to Absinthe Radio.

You can listen for free, but joining means you have to connect only once, and access to many more stations. It wasn't dirt cheap, but well worth the price.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Kittenwithawhip
I Really should be Working
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Live365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live365   Live365 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 1:42 am

I remember when I accidentally found Live 365 back in 2001. The first thing I ever got to listen to was an episode of Fibber McGee and Molly. I was all alone that night, downstairs in my little den, with all the lights off. The modern world melted away quickly and I was just one more contemporary audience member listening to their Cathedral radio. Anytime I get magic like that, it's like crack. I kept coming back to it and hunting down new stations as my original favorites disappeared. I've had a subscription for years and I listen to it all the time.

The station I miss the most, though, wasn't music. It was WWIIRADIO, a station that played news broadcasts of all the major events of WWII starting with the Annexation of Sudetenland and ending with the Judgements at Nuremburg. It took several days to get through everything from start to finish. Along the way were great tidbits like the last broadcast (in morse code) from Corregidor, describing the starvation and enemy bombardment, complete lack of military supplies and backup, and details of their surrender to the Japanese just before the transmission suddenly and ominously ends.
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Live365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live365   Live365 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 1:46 am

I was just rereading that part about being alone in the house and listening to the radio. My husband goes for Boys Night Out every Friday night, and he says he can always tell when I've been up late, listening to the scary old radio shows. The doors are all double locked and all the lights are on, inside and out. "I could play baseball outside, it's so bright."
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Live365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live365   Live365 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:55 pm

I have a big collection of Suspense! on CD, and I have to work myself up to listen to some of those episodes.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Live365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live365   Live365 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Kittenwithawhip wrote:

The station I miss the most, though, wasn't music. It was WWIIRADIO, a station that played news broadcasts of all the major events of WWII starting with the Annexation of Sudetenland and ending with the Judgements at Nuremburg. It took several days to get through everything from start to finish. Along the way were great tidbits like the last broadcast (in morse code) from Corregidor, describing the starvation and enemy bombardment, complete lack of military supplies and backup, and details of their surrender to the Japanese just before the transmission suddenly and ominously ends.

Try Rat Patrol Radio- it's quite similar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Live365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live365   Live365 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Oh yeah I listen to Rat Patrol all the time. Homefront too. Nothing like my beloved lost Wireless War (it's not WWIIRADIO, sorry I got the name wrong) but good stations anyway.

I love Suspense. If it's a war-years broadcast with a celebrity, I'll pull up a glass of red wine (the closest I can get to Roma wine) and enjoy myself. If not, I'll look for a nice episode of Quiet Please or The Inner Sanctum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Live365 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live365   Live365 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live365
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Music & Radio Shows :: All The Best-
Jump to: