The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Dos

Go down 
+5
Trixie
majorwifey
Ali
Mimi
BygoneKnits
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Number of posts : 211
Title : Bright Young Thing
Registration date : 2008-01-02

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 5:46 pm

Does anyone have a vintage hairstyle? Just for special occasions, or on an everyday basis? I've had a plain side-part bob for all my life, of various lengths. A few years ago, I tried the Louis Brooks thing, but, well, the last time I had bangs, I was six years old, and what was cute on Wee Me wasn't so fetching on Big Me. Also, THAT short wasn't at all flattering, either. Naturally, being a '30s Girl, I have a penchant for marcel waves, but these seem tricky to maintain, might look a bit odd on ordinary days, and my hair probably wouldn't keep them anyway. (It's odd, my hair has always turned under easily and nicely in a bob, but when it comes to curlers or waves of any sort, it's asking for the impossible.) Recently, I've been thinking of going slightly beyond my usual vintage scope, with a little flip such as this (I frequently wear those flat fabric headbands), which appears in a 1962 issue of Vogue Knitting (I also want to make the coat/dress ensemble, incidentally.) But I'm not sure I have the nerve, especially after The Louise Brooks Experiment. I'm a Devout Coward. But what's everyone else doing with thier locks? And how about the fellows? Do you have classic cuts, or trendy cuts of the variety requiring "product"?

'Dos Vogue_dresscoat_1962001
Back to top Go down
http://bygoneknits.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Mine almost always is some incarnation of Marilyn Monroe.
Short-ish, platinum (usually), and curled.

Right now, it's very "Seven Year Itch."
Back to top Go down
Ali
I Really should be Working
Ali

Number of posts : 462
Title : Proud Bad Example
Registration date : 2008-01-03

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 9:59 am

I go chin length/short and back again but I don't usually copy retro styles. You can't find a hairdresser anymore who can do the them. Now this morning, I've seen How to Steal a Million, with Audrey Hepburn. Movie wasn't that good, but I loved her hair! Mine's the right length at the moment and my face is the right shape too.

What hopes of finding a hairdresser who can do retro?

'Dos Audrey-Hepburn5
Back to top Go down
http://acossylife.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 11:02 am

Always take a photo!

I used to be a hairdresser, so I do my own. also, I scored a great book from the 40s on eBay and it has cutting diagrams in the back. Find one of these, and any well-trained stylist can follow them.

and learn to do your own sets! It will be invaluable!
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 am

BK, I love that flip! Gorgeous!

What I find, lately anyway, is that the modern styles are just poorly styled versions. They're using the basic shingle cuts for these layered bobs, etc, and not finishing them! Just blowing the hair around and then putting wax in it!

I have a really basic shingle, shorter in back and on the bottom, with soft layering throughout. This is a 50s cut. But if I just blow it dry, and nothing else, it's very modern. (This is not something I do, unless I'm too sick to style it)

But when I do set it, I use a very hot, very small curling iron, and V05 hairdressing. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold for a 50s style!
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 1:51 pm

I'm really uncoordinated; and I ALWAYS have a really difficult time with the back (curling iron, rollers, you name it.) I get all confused about what's what, and what's going in what direction. Any hints? Or just practice, practice, practice? Also -- hairspray. I MUCH prefer the sort in the pump bottles (I'm especially fond of the Bumble & Bumble line -- I like their bottled hair gloss, too, incidentally), not for environmental reasons, but I just find them easier to control. But back when I used to act, in was AquaNet, AquaNet, AquaNet. Is that really the only way to go? And what about sleeping in curlers? I used to do this, without much of a promising result -- I've done both the pin curl method -- you how, with those wide, flat, clips, not actual bobby pins), and the fabric-covered spongy kind which have ends with tie. Besides, my hair was always still too damp in the morning.

Any particular variety of VO5 to recommend? (Gee, I hadn't thought of that stuff in AGES!)

And brushes and combs: to finish, I'm very fond of the old-fashioned natural bristles; they seem to leave a nice smoothness and shine without static. But for styling? And combs...I remember my mom always used a rat-tail one when doing anything which required any sort of effort -- I just acquired one (surprisingly difficult to find these days!)

I think I threw it out, but upon recommendation for someone, I bought a bottle of styling lotion from someplace like Sally -- I hated it -- it made my hair feel so sticky and heavy.

Incidentally, The Louise Brooks Experiment was actually carried out perfectly, technically speaking -- and I just went to one of those inexpensive walk-in chain places, which people tend to make fun of where no one had even heard of Lulu (or any old else from old movies, for that matter), but with a sheaf of photos in-hand. I don't care for those super-pricey snooty places, where you're changed something absurd, like a hundred bucks for a trim, and then they force you into buying a ton of stuff on top of that. But I've had some disasters in the normal middling places -- once, I asked for a simple, chin-length bob, and ended up with a short Dorothy Hamel. Oh my Lord, not only unflattering, but talk about dated! (in a really bad way.) Took forever to grow out. Gawd, it was horrible. Do I look like a '70s ice-skater? NO. (Actually, I have a similar structure to the Vogue flip model. You can imagine how a Dorothy Hamel accentuated all the stronger features in the worst way possible!) Sad

sorry...rambling...
Back to top Go down
Ali
Ali

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 3:00 pm

Elnet. Best hairspray on the market, bar none.

L'Oreal, Neutrogena and Pantene are my favourites for affordable shampoo and conditioner (I have coloured hair). For something pricier, I highly recommend Rusk Sensories. I don't know if its available outside of salons now or not.

I can't make any recommendations on styling mousse/gel/spray other than to say experiment. What suits one person's hair may not suit yours. My hair goes flat as a pancake and feels dirty the next day if its had mousse used as a styling aid. I tend to stick to gel with my shorter hair but only use it occasionally.

Supposedly you shouldn't use any sort of heated styling tool without using a heat protectant first. Again, I have no idea what brands are better. I tend to avoid blowdrying and my hair isn't long enough for straighteners or curling irons. Though I think I'm going to invest in a good set of hot rollers to use on my crown.

I'll start hunting for those old styling books Mimi suggested too!
Back to top Go down
majorwifey
Dipping a Toe in the Water
majorwifey

Number of posts : 16
Title : mamapants

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Does anyone have natural curl?

My hair is long past the shoulders (dry) with natural curls which go betwee the size of a quarter to a paper towel roll depending on the weather. Dark ash blond with highlights and grays...

I have to use product unless I want to look like Diana Ross or Stevie Nicks - but there are a couple of cute styles I can pull off easily...I think BK called them "mercel" curls, like finger rolls down the side of the head and pulled up loosely at the nape of the neck...a turn of the century style?

I also split the part in front and put a headband behind with the back down or up. The easiest is the classic up-do where the backis rolled looselyupward and the curls com down fro the top.

I have used the flat iron, but my husband has been clear: curls are way better.
Back to top Go down
http://majorwifey.livejournal.com/
Trixie
Trixie

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-01-05

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 9:41 pm

He he he, "devout coward" , that's funny BygoneKnits Smile

My hair is about four inches below my shoulders and rounded (from an old 40s style cut) and I have bangs. But they’re not short vintagey bangs because I look retarded that way. Its baby fine & stick straight. I want Veronica Lake waves or pin curls but no, when I curl it I just get slightly fluffier straight. It drives me batty because I’ve noticed if I wear vintage clothing & just regular hair I look sort of….well, prudish for lack of a better word. If I do my hair then I look retro. So…what I’ve been doing lately is making two rolls in the front and tying a rolled scarf on top of the back of my hair & into a bow on top. Then I tuck the back of my hair around the scarf and pin. It’s easier for me than trying to use rats since the scarf roll is slimmer & you can’t see it through my hair. I also wear braids on top of my head. I have one of those fake braid headbands that I use for the double braid look. I always consider getting a perm because it just seems that vintage hair styles are easier when you have curls. But I always chicken out!
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:52 pm

Right now I'm growing out a 20s bob so I can do some waving (and be lazy & pull it back).

This is my favorite look, but my hair doesn't always turn out like this!
'Dos 000_0842_edited

It's done on slightly layered hair, clean & damp. Some water waves, all the rest in lots of rag curlers. Then brush it out, and fasten back one side with a comb.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Ali
Ali

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 1:53 pm

I love that kimono Lindy!
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:30 pm

Thank you!

It's probably my very favorite "robe" (I have a weakness for robes).

This one, believe it or not, we found a few blocks away, in a local gift shop. It's a man's kimono, and is too long, but I haven't had the heart to get it shortened yet.

There's no obi to go with it; I use a belt I made out of twisted drapery cord & some tassels.
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:06 pm

it's truly gorgeous (those colors!), and so very '20s-'30s! (for a robe, I actually prefer the belt you fashioned to an obi.)
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 pm

It's a vintage piece, and I think it is 30s.

I love it. It's going with me to the Ahwahnee!
Back to top Go down
Ali
Ali

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 5:59 am

Your probably better off without the obi. I always think of obis as the Japanese version of a stomacher!
Back to top Go down
deadpandiva
deadpandiva

Number of posts : 96

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 2:33 pm

'Dos Picture891
This is how I wear my hair 3-5 days out of the week.
latley I have been wearing a slightly less curly version of this because I think it looks less matronly and my hair is short. I have been experiementing with rolls too but I havent worn my hair in rolls in public yet.

Idealy I would like my hair to look like Vivien Leigh's in the early to mid 30's.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 3:04 pm

You're well on your way to the goal. That's a lovely style.
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 10:47 pm

lindydiva wrote:

It's done on slightly layered hair, clean & damp. Some water waves, all the rest in lots of rag curlers. Then brush it out, and fasten back one side with a comb.

How do the layers look if you don't do any curlers? Do they look more modern?

I've been wanting to do something like that to my hair for ages, but it's just so straight & thick- it's really hard to get it to hold a curl. And it takes me hours to get it all put up. I'm wondering if I have it cut into some layers if that will help. But there will be plenty of days when I don't have the time to do the curls and I wouldn't want it to look weird.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Miss Roulette
Miss Roulette

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-02-21

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 3:56 pm

I have slightly layered hair and don't usually curl it when I'm at work, I prefer my sleep in the morning Wink It doesn't look very modern but I think that's because my hairdresser cuts it in a very 40s style so although it has layers it's a good cut.

I've had a bad experience with one hairdresser who didn't comprehend the words 'slight layers' and I ended up with a very modern hair cut. It took about 3 weeks for it to grow enough for me to get it cut again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophistikitten.net
SusieQT
SusieQT

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 12:59 pm

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I'm also afraid that if I get it layered, it will be too "fluffy", even if I don't curl it.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 10:09 am

I have a very good stylist (she can't do an updo or set to save her life, but she's great and cutting and a modern blow dry).

If I want a good modern look this cut still works for me, especially if I blow dry (which I hate to do, I'd rather set it!).

But if you wash it the night before and smooth some kind of "product" on it (the kind used to keep frizz down) and let it air dry it should still be fine.

Look around at the people in your area. If you like the look of someone's haircut, speak up and ask her where she goes, and to whom.

The first time I had Claudia cut my hair I brought in an old hairdresser's manual and went over it with her. If you just hand one to most modern stylists they just say, "Oh, how cute!"...and set it aside. Rolling Eyes

Also, if this stylist is good you should ask him or her to taper the ends slightly. My hair is too blunt on the ends for a good modern look unless it's tapered. And tapering helps the ends curl under, anyway.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 10:35 am

My hair has grown to Rita Hayworth length (when I'm lazy it's ponytail time).

But I've been putting it up (barely damp) on rag curlers; roll one section up, the next section in the opposite direction.

The look is ca. 1939; waves and fluffy curls, without much effort.

If I use product and a clip or two for water waves I can get more of a Rita Hayworth look.

I haven't tried for a mid-30s look at this length. It will probably require more curlers, product, and most of the front in water waves.

Has anyone tried for mid-30s with this hair length, either their own or in styling someone else's hair? How did it work out?
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 3:49 pm

lindydiva wrote:

I haven't tried for a mid-30s look at this length. It will probably require more curlers, product, and most of the front in water waves.

Has anyone tried for mid-30s with this hair length, either their own or in styling someone else's hair? How did it work out?

That's exactly what I'm going for. Do you do the water waves without a wave iron? I think I could do that with the cut I have, but my hair is so thick I can't get the waves to stay.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 4:55 pm

I cheat a little.

Get the long clips, curved if you can find them; they work better.

I make sure there's a little product and that the hair is uniformly damp and swirl it into the wave I want with a comb, then anchor the wave with 1 - 3 clips.

That's something you can't sleep on; you'll have to sit under a dryer for it to take.

Oh, make sure to section your hair horizontally as well as vertically for this to work. My hair is pretty thick (less so than yours, I think) and I usually wave the top half in two sections, leaving the bottom two to curl.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

'Dos Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Dos   'Dos Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Dos
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Fashion & Beauty :: Hair & Makeup-
Jump to: