The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Calling all wartime cooks!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SusieQT
I Really should be Working
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Calling all wartime cooks! Empty
PostSubject: Calling all wartime cooks!   Calling all wartime cooks! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm

The National World War II Museum preserves Kitchen Memories

Grassroots program seeks to capture culinary history

NEW ORLEANS – Many of our strongest memories are centered on food: meals we have loved, meals we have hated, special gatherings or everyday routines with relatives and friends, triumphs and disasters in the kitchen. Now add to the mix the emotions, fears, excitement, and challenges of the Home Front and you’ve got some of the strongest memories of the World War II generation. The National WWII Museum in New Orleans is encouraging members of the Greatest Generation to share these stories as part of a national grassroots program called Kitchen Memories.

The Museum is seeking to gather a nation’s individual and collective memories of shopping, rationing, growing, cooking, serving, and eating during the war from those who experienced these things first hand. They are also encouraging people who did not experience the Home Front to gather stories from someone who did. Talk to your mother, grandmother, a relative or friend in your community who has food stories to share.

The goal of the program is to produce a collection of stories, recipes and memories of World War II as a community kitchen project: a way to encourage oral history and talk across generations while these stories can still be collected first-hand.

For helpful guidelines on recording your Kitchen Memories or those of a loved one, visit
www.support.nationalww2museum.org/kitchenmemories where you can also find information on submitting your oral history, photos and wartime recipes to The National World War II Museum’s archives.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Number of posts : 269
Title : Rib Tickler
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Calling all wartime cooks!   Calling all wartime cooks! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 pm

By the way, everyone, if you are interested in WW2 history at all, I highly recommend this museum. It used to be the D-Day Museum, but they've broadened their scope - though it is mostly military history here, as you might imagine. They do have a good "Home-Front " exhibit, though, and great programs!

It takes a good chunk of day to go through all that they have (they have a cafe), but - If you're down that way, - GO!
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Calling all wartime cooks!   Calling all wartime cooks! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:48 am

It does sound like a great museum. If we're ever in that part of the country we'll definitely have to visit!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Number of posts : 269
Title : Rib Tickler
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Calling all wartime cooks!   Calling all wartime cooks! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:41 pm

SusieQT wrote:
It does sound like a great museum. If we're ever in that part of the country we'll definitely have to visit!

Love to. I look forward to going back sometime soon, to see the new additions (if they are complete), and will gladly look you up. And if'n ya hasn't gone yet, you should go, too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calling all wartime cooks!   Calling all wartime cooks! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calling all wartime cooks!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Housekeeper's Corner :: Cookbook-
Jump to: