The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great WW2 Project Book

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dread Scott
I Really should be Working
Dread Scott

Number of posts : 269
Title : Rib Tickler
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Great WW2 Project Book Empty
PostSubject: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Our Son (about to be 12) has been fairly obsessed with WW2 for several years, and received this book as a gift for Christmas - It's really neat.

Great WW2 Project Book GreatWWII_Storehttp://www.amazon.com/Great-World-Projects-Build-Yourself/dp/0977129411/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234540907&sr=1-1

Other books in a similar vein that are also good, informative:

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow

Atlas of World War II

(this last isn't intended as a kid's book, but is loaded with maps, and not *too* text-heavy)
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 11:53 am

What kinds of things does the book contain?

It might be a good gift for a couple of my nephews...I'm thinking the 11 year old and the 17 year old...for that matter, I suspect Jimmy & I would find it interesting!
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 2:22 pm

It's a great book for an 11 year old - the 17-ager may find it too kid-oriented. Adults will find it interesting, informative, and might want to make the projects, too.

It's divided into informative chapters, mostly dealing with the Home Front, but also spying and concentration camps (appropriately). Projects included are things like: Airplane spotter models, tabletop victory gardens, ration cakes, silly putty, flipbooks, paper cranes, secret codes, ration kits, Care Packages, recruitment posters, victory banners, and more.

This is all with easy-to-understand, but substantial, dosed of history, trivia, terminology, photos and illustrations. It highlights pretty fairly the contributions of Navajo code-talkers, African-Americans, Women, Civilians and Soldiers. It more than touches on the plights of Jews and Japanese-Americans as well.

It really is a fair, broad-ranging, pertinent overview of the times and the people and places (maps!) of WW2.

For the 17-yr. old, I would probably recommend something else. If you want to keep it WW2, I would suggest maybe Band of Brothers (DVD set if cost little object, book otherwise), or Where the Birds Never Sing (enjoyable, easy to read, but a good personal account) or the any of the Brothers in Arms video/computer games for whatever system he has. The PC versions are pretty cheap and historically/storywise the best of the WW2 shooters. (these games had a definite part in getting our son interested in WW2). This is the wii version of two of the games combined, but there are versions for everything. Highly recommended for gamers with a history bug in them. Players will learn about strategy/tactics in ways other games don't teach, as well as lots of unlockable information about arms, equipment and military history of the European campaign, all based on actual occurances.

How's (all) that?

EDIT: Here's the gamespot page for Road to Hill 30 for the gamer (if that's what he is), which is the game I'd start with, if you have any interest in it.

Last edited by Dread Scott on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 2:55 pm

That's wonderful.

Thank you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:04 pm

If they like real experimentaion they'll love Backyard Ballistics.
Yes, that's my review under my Amazon Nom de Plume- Red Monkey.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:07 pm

More than you asked for, but I got rolling.

Had to stop myself from waxing any more enthusiasticly about any more books, what have you. I am intimately familiar with ww2 gifting, because of our son.

I didn't even get into the "action figure" stuff available...
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
If they like real experimentaion they'll love Backyard Ballistics.
Yes, that's my review under my Amazon Nom de Plume- Red Monkey.

That looks like a coolaroo book - and I will say from experience, that a potato cannon is big fun. If you've never, you should.
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 5:22 pm

I've never. I can never seem to find the right kind of pipe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 12:58 am

I've only done it with PVC. Cheap, easy to work with, and available.Ugly as sin, but you can't have everything...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great WW2 Project Book   Great WW2 Project Book Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great WW2 Project Book
Page 1 of 1