The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Barbecue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jumpin' Jim
Dipping a Toe in the Water
Jumpin' Jim

Number of posts : 27
Title : The keeper of the Neo-Swing Flame
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 7:41 pm

Maybe this belongs in the Cookbook section, but I see Barbecuing as one of the Manly Arts.

I'm trying to hone my barbecue skills this summer. Not grilling, but real, slow-cooked barbecue. I almost bought a smoker this week, but decided that my grill (with the addition of a smoker box) would be better than any of the smokers I could afford right now. Are there any other pit masters out there? I'm up for any tips you can offer.

I'll start with a tip of my own. When making barbecue rubs, I've been using smoked paprika instead of the sweet Hungarian variety that is more common. Even though I'm adding some smoke flavor with the wood chips, I find that the smoked paprika gives the bark on the outer edges a bit more flavor. I also have been applying the rub twice: after I apply it the first time, I let the meat rest for about 1/2 an hour. The salt in the rub draws out some of the juices and it begins to make its own sauce. I apply it again right before I begin cooking.
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 7:36 am

Much as I would relish being adept at the manly art of barbecueism, I am, alas, hindered by my vegetarianism.

There's only so much you can do with a vegetable shish kebab, some corn on the cob and a baked potato. If anyone has any veggie barbie tips I'd be most grateful.

I'm with you on the smoked paprika though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 9:16 am

I think some folks do like to BBQ tofu in its various forms. As for the veg, don't limit yourself!

Marinate thick slices of onion in balsamic dressing or BBQ sauce and grill until they're caramelized.

Any root vegetable that can be roasted in the oven can be grilled. Just brush them with olive oil, sprinkle on some sea salt and pepper, and turn and grill until they're done.

Roast sweet or hot peppers until they blister, put into a sack to sweat, and peel.

You can roast corn in or out of the husk. Out, just husk and roast, turning frequently.

In, pull back the husk and take off all the silk. Brush with soft butter, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Pull the husk back up, fasten the top tightly, and soak in a water bath. Shake out, wrap in foil, and put into the coals to steam.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Mina
Dipping a Toe in the Water
Mina

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 am

Grilled asparagus is great! They need to be skewered so they don't fall through the grill -- just make a little asparagus raft of side by side stalks and run two skewers through to conect them all. Makes it easy to flip too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bostonbabydolls.net
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 11:20 am

You could also make a roasted garlic broth and cook it down to make a hearty base for a sauce.

Garlic broth is not very "garlicky", so I hear.

(Now I'm thinking I need to throw some into the oven at least and have it with...anything!)

Hey! You could rub roasted garlic cloves over the corn to be steamed, in place of butter. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Garlic corn on the cob sounds nice. I don't have a garden for a barbecue so it's all academic anyway. I do like a bit of haloumi and I reckon that would be perfect for a BBQ.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Just got back from the colossus of rhodes (blow me it was hot out there.....), so I've had my fair share of pieces of seared animal.

My advice, keep it simple, use good cuts of meat and serve with peppers, tomatos maybe some chips or boiled spuds and a dollop of mayo. Plenty of cold beer!

Andy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Barbecue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barbecue   Barbecue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barbecue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Gentlemen's Lounge :: Brandy, Cigars, Politics...-
Jump to: