The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kittenwithawhip
I Really should be Working
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Empty
PostSubject: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 4:41 pm

I was boggled by a gorgeous display of depression glass wares recently at an antique shop, and maybe that was a good thing because I didn't buy any. I was sure some of it was modern and could be bought at a better price elsewhere, like the purple Dahlia set I see in the Victorian Trading Co.'s catalog every other month...no way was THAT antique.

So anyway, I went home and started looking up depressionware and was astounded by the number of snotty sites that say you should never EVER buy the modern replicas no matter what. I can understand not wanting to pay antique prices for modern glassware, but other than that, why not? I'm going to use it all the time, not just hide it in a cabinet. Nobody said the replicas were of inferior glass quality, with the exception of the vaseline glass which is now made with depleted uranium instead of the full-power stuff, hence a weaker glow, and that hardly counts. But, the pieces were so beautiful, and I would love to have some of it, and there's a glass company out there making swell repros, not trying to fake anybody out...so, why not?

Any collectors here? Can you tell me why not?
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Number of posts : 211
Title : Bright Young Thing
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 5:45 pm

I don't see why not in the case of something like glasswear (as opposed to, say, clothing, which frequently looks OTT and costume-y, and/or doesn't have a true vintage fit). The only thing I'd be really concerned about is that it seems a lot of repro glass is passed off, either unwittingly or not, as The Real Deal. So I just have to do a lot of research to be sure you're not getting ripped off, if you see something on someplace like e-bay, as opposed to a store/catalogue what states outright that the stuff's repro. Well, and also, a lot of the repros are made in Asia, so it depends on how you feel about buying anything made in China, etc.

On the other hand, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the vintage stuff everyday. That's what it was meant for, not to sit in a cabinet and get dusty. Even though it was orginally cheap, it all stands up to time like crazy, because it is actually really good quality glass. Much more so than a lot of contemporary items (in general, I mean, not specifically repro depression glass.)
Back to top Go down
http://bygoneknits.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 8:57 pm

I agree...no problem with buying repro if you're more comfortable with that and can't find the Real Thing at an affordable price. Especially with stuff like Fiestaware when the original mfg is still making it. I mix my old and new Fiesta on a daily basis and it all frequently ends up in the dishwasher together!

I agree with BK, tho, and make sure you're getting something decent for the money and not buying too cheap a fake that won't hold up to the daily wear and tear...because, you know, whatever it is, they probably don't make it like they used to!
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 11:12 pm

I know -- that Fiesta is sturdy stuff! I don't know why a lot of people think it needs to be treated with white gloves. (not to mention never use it!) Our everyday glasses are Fostoria Jamestown in ruby, and they stand up to the dishwasher just fine -- and, guess what -- unlike EVERY set of contemporary everyday glasses we've always had before, they NEVER break/chip/crack!
Back to top Go down
TXPoppet
Hiding in the Shadows
TXPoppet

Number of posts : 9
Title : Holdin' Down the Homefront
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 3:39 pm

One must be very careful with vintage china, however. Many of the old pieces from the thirties and forties are metalware, that is to say the slip was placed over a metal frame to add strength. They look like the stuff from before and after the metalware craze, but they are dangerous. Naturally these pieces are not microwave safe and can cause severe burns when warmed in the oven for serving. Also, be sure you test all china and glass for lead before serving anything acidic like fruit or juice in them particularly to children.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cannedlaffs.com
Kittenwithawhip
I Really should be Working
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 5:31 pm

How do you test it? Magnets?
Back to top Go down
TXPoppet
Hiding in the Shadows
TXPoppet

Number of posts : 9
Title : Holdin' Down the Homefront
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm afraid it's just a question of knowing your maker and it's marks. My beloved Edme from Wedgwood was done in metalware for about a decade. After my first burn, I learned to look for the marks from those years before buying. My sister will not buy antique Fiesta Ware for everyday use because of the same problem, but she still enjoys her vintage "pretties".

As for lead testing (for those who don't know), test strips are available for about 99 cents at most groceries and 5 & Dimes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cannedlaffs.com
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 4:50 pm

I've never had any problems with my old Fiestaware.

We don't have a microwave anymore, but when I did, it went in there all the time.
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 8:09 pm

TXPoppet! My fam's everyday china is Edme! Isn't it lovely? It goes with absolutely everything, and is equally at home on a formal table, or leftovers in the kitchen. I can't believe they discontinuted it.

Personally, I don't put ANY china in the microwave at all. For one thing, on high-quality stuff like Wedgwood/Royal Doulton/Lenox/etc, it (eventually) causes severe crazing, discoloring, and hairline cracks.

Would you believe that we've had people over for casual dinners who decide that thier dinner isn't hot enough, and without a word, leap up, run into the kitchen, and toss thier plate in the microwave? If nothing else, is that The Height of Rudeness (THOR), or not? On all counts. Evil or Very Mad

PS: They probably believe in putting the Waterford and the sterling and anything hand-painted or gilded in the dishwasher, too. Sad
Back to top Go down
fume hood
Dipping a Toe in the Water

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 5:18 pm

The orange fiestaware and yellow Depression glass is radioactive because of Uranium. Speaking as a chemist - I would give it to the EPA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)   Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why NOT reproductions? (Depression glass in particular...)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Housekeeper's Corner :: Housekeeping Encyclopedia-
Jump to: