The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

substituting yarns

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kamikat
Dipping a Toe in the Water
kamikat

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-02-03

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 10:10 am

I have a project in mind that calls for Bernat Nylo Germantown. I haven't had a luck finding it on eBay. The pattern calls for size 7 needles, so my guess would be a worsted. My confusion comes from the fact that on the same page, there is another pattern using the same yarn that calls for size 10 needles ad the next page uses the same yarn with size 4 needles. Since I'm brand new to knitting, should I just take the book into my LYS and have the owner tell me what to get? (if it helps with recommendations, I'm allergic to wool).
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: Re: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:51 pm

What's the year of the pattern?

Germantown was a type of yarn back in the day.

As for different needle sizes, that does happen. Ex.: sock yarn for socks (1s or 2s). The same yarn, for baby clothes...you'd use a 3 or a 4.

If you wanted to make something airy, like lace or a very light wrap, you might knit the same yarn with 8s....

A great deal depends on drape.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
kamikat
kamikat

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: Re: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:49 pm

I hope this works. I'm having flickr problems, so if pic doesn't show, I'll try to link to my flickr site later.

substituting yarns Pic02211
The book came without a front cover and I can't find a date. From the hairstyles, I'd guess mid-50's. The gauge says 6sts=1in, 8rows=1in. Although the sweater looks like tiny cables, the pattern appears to be twisted stitches.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: Re: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Could even be late 50s.

Twisted stitch is also known as Austrian cables (or at least I've read it referred to as such.

From the gauge, I would say that something along the lines of sock yarn is what you're looking for, not worsted.

Again, you'll have some difficulty if you can't use wool.

Here's a book you should buy:

No Sheep for You
http://www.amazon.com/No-Sheep-You-Cotton-Delights/dp/1596680121

The author is allergic to wool, and there are pages of charts, discussion and so forth on substitution for wool. I own this book (my MiL is allergic to wool, for one thing!) and I think it's a very good source.
Back to top Go down
kamikat
kamikat

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: Re: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 7:19 pm

I know it's been a while since I've posted here, but I have an update. My mother-in-law took me to the fanciest yarn shop in the whole DC area for my birthday. It turns out the owner is a fan of vintage patterns. I showed her the pattern and told her about my allergy and bought whatever she told me to use. She said getting gauge might be difficult, but what I bought was the finest non-wool yarn that she had. She also recommended coming in when I was ready to start, so she could check my gauge.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: Re: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 9:22 am

That sounds like good news! You've got a wonderful MiL.

AND a good LYS owner.

Please let us know how it goes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kamikat
kamikat

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: Re: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:23 pm

lindydiva wrote:
That sounds like good news! You've got a wonderful MiL.

AND a good LYS owner.

Please let us know how it goes. Very Happy

It helps that my MIL is a lifelong knitter and a total yarn snob. But yes, she is wonderful!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

substituting yarns Empty
PostSubject: Re: substituting yarns   substituting yarns Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

substituting yarns
Page 1 of 1