The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Right now on TCM!

Go down 
+7
Lesleyann66
lindydiva
deadpandiva
Kittenwithawhip
BygoneKnits
Ali
Mimi
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 11:02 am

Richard Dix, as the Whistler!

I love this radio program, never miss it, but I've not seen any of the films, and TCM is showing two of them starting now!!!
Back to top Go down
Ali
I Really should be Working
Ali

Number of posts : 462
Title : Proud Bad Example
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Oh God, I miss TCM! Its the only thing I miss about not having cable tv anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://acossylife.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 1:07 pm

I could not LIVE without TCM!
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Number of posts : 211
Title : Bright Young Thing

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:03 pm

I know! Me too! It really is pretty much the only thing I watch. Recently, my father decided he would fiddle around with our cable package (without telling anyone -- silly fellow! What WAS he thinking?), and all of a sudden -- POOF! -- no TCM! My mom and I threw such fits that he called them on the sort to remedy the sitch. ha!
Back to top Go down
http://bygoneknits.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 10:54 pm

Once, we changed our satellite package and mine was gone--for only about 5 minutes, then I called in hysterics!

They were sorry, it was a misunderstanding...but I was a mess!

Apart from BBC, I only watch TCM and the History channel....
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 12:48 am

They were showing Topper earlier today. I love that movie. It always brings me back to my childhood in L.A., watching the Family Film Festival on Saturdays and Sundays with Tom Hatten. It's the same place that gave me Pippi Longstocking, H.R. Pufnstuf and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, but how could THEY ever compete with the ability to vanish and still throw light bulbs around the room?

Ted Turner blew it for me in the eighties, and now I can't watch the opening credits without "seeing" them in satin and matte pink. The same goes for Marion's dress when she enters the bank. How weird is that? Oh well, he made it up to me again by creating TCM. All is forgiven.

They're showing Turnabout in another hour. Carole Landis once said that when she was on her USO tour, they landed in some exotic island country and some native pointed at her, shouting "She MAN! She MAN!" No one could get him to shut up and Carole was getting the creeps, like maybe he thought she was a demon and he'd try to attack her or something. Finally they figured out that the local movie theatre had recently played Turnabout, a movie about Carole and her husband switching bodies a la Freaky Friday, and he was taking it seriously. They finally convinced him that Carole was really a girl, and she went on with her tour more or less unhindered.
Back to top Go down
deadpandiva
Dipping a Toe in the Water
deadpandiva

Number of posts : 96

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 4:25 pm

I caught the second Whistler and I enjoyed it. I really loved the hats the ladies were wearing.

I could not live without TCM. When my sister and I first moved out on our own, I used to schedule my life around TCM.
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Elvis flicks! (Viva Las Vegas, at this particular moment.)

Happy Birthday Elvis! (he would have been 72, if my math is correct)
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 1:55 pm

TCM programming is giving me the fear. I know they're trying to add some new blood with a lot of their premieres, which is a good thing in a tough market. Let's face it, we're pretty nasty about someone tampering with our only supplier of vintage movie "crack". But last night, they slipped in the Gwynyth Paltrow version of Emma, which absolutely gave me the heebie jeebies. It was kind of like the first time they showed Urban Cowboy on AMC and I knew it was all over.

Anybody else notice?
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Yes! I saw that and was almost ill. Oh, a Very Bad Sign, indeed. Plus, am I the only one who positively can not STAND GP? "The new Audrey Hepburn/Grace Kelly" my eye! Heresy! There shall never be another Audrey or Grace!
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Oh good god. Remember all the hype about GP in that pink Calvin Klein ballgown?
Guess what? IT DIDN'T FIT HER. It was horrible.

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about TCM, but every now and then, I get a little scared.
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Oh, I know...wasn't that horrible? It COULD have been pretty...if, as you say, it FIT. (Note to Gynnie: People like CK can provide fitting sessions and tailors, you know!) Also, although I like pink, I thought it a wee bit too bubble-gum. And pink's just not a Good Color on her, I think...it doesn't suit her coloring. I don't remember where, but I recently saw some "expert" on the telly raving about that dress. All else aside, wasn't that about ten years ago? Or more? Does that mean she hasn't worn anything of note since?

Sometimes people tell me that I "look/remind them SO MUCH of GP." Cringe. (Perhaps it's meant as an insult?) "You remind me so much of Grace Kelly," for instance, would be such a nicer compliment.
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Mimi wrote:
Oh good god. Remember all the hype about GP in that pink Calvin Klein ballgown?
Guess what? IT DIDN'T FIT HER. It was horrible.

Is that the one the South Park guy wore to the Oscars that year? FUNNY STUFF!
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 4:25 pm

I hate hotlinking, but I'm not on my usual computer and can't go around saving things...so here's just the link. Follow if you DARE!

http://chronicle.augusta.com/images/headlines/022704/17099_512.jpg
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 5:52 pm

YES!

That's the one!

HIS FITS BETTER. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 6:08 pm

hahaha! And is that the I'm-Almost-A-Garment-But-Not-Quite J. Lo dress? Remember when Matt Laurer wore that for Halloween one year on the Today show?
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 6:10 pm

I love that picture. I think that's just about the single best GOTCHA that ever came out of Hollywood!
Back to top Go down
deadpandiva
deadpandiva

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 1:55 pm

I have a few days off next week. I am looking forward to seeing The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. Evelyn Prentice, Manhattan Melodrama, The Unfinished Dance, The Citadel and the Val Lewton documentry.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Right now they are featuring James Cagney on Wednesdays. Of course I've been busy the last two Wednesdays.

And here's my gripe: why is it that the films I REALLY want to see are all on between 1:00 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. (Or in the afternoon.)?!

G'rrrrrrrr.

I have a real weakness for RKO & Warner Bros. quickies. Love 'em.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
deadpandiva
deadpandiva

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:02 pm

^ I have the same gripe. Most of the Prime Time Lineup is stuff I've seen a hundred times or available on video or DVD. The rare gems are played when I am sleeping or working. I waited for years for them to play four mothers and when they finally did my VCR wasn't cooperating. they'll probably never play it again. Sad
Back to top Go down
Lesleyann66
Lesleyann66

Number of posts : 35
Title : Girl with a very cute handbag
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm

If anyone is interested, Sunday would have been Joan Crawfords 100th b'day.
TCM is showing her films until 8pm (est) today!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lesleyann66
Lesleyann66
Lesleyann66

Number of posts : 35
Title : Girl with a very cute handbag
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:55 pm

Today is Bette Davis' 100th b'day-she is on TCM for the next 24 hours!
Right now is Now Voyager -at 8pm is All About Eve! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lesleyann66
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 3:28 pm

As usual, the stuff I want to see is on while I'm at work.

Or at 5:00 a.m.

That, combined with the relatively warm weather, means that I haven't seen any old movies for a while.

Maybe I should go see Leatherheads this week, if it's still on in the area!
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BOB!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 8:42 am

It's Robert Montgomery's birthday, so TCM is celebrating in grand style!

This is one fella who makes me all weak in the knees, so you can guess what I'll be doing today!
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:22 pm

Mimi wrote:

This is one fella who makes me all weak in the knees, so you can guess what I'll be doing today!

Shocked Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
Sponsored content

Right now on TCM! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right now on TCM!   Right now on TCM! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Right now on TCM!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Film and TV. :: the Golden Age of Hollywood-
Jump to: