The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1915 Jelly!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kittenwithawhip
I Really should be Working
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:38 pm

I've been in a 1915 mood again. This time, I sniffed Heliotrope in the garden center and went on a time travel bender.

1915 Jelly! Knoxmn2
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Ahem! That pic was WAY bigger than I thought it would be. It squeezed me out of my own message!

Anyhow, One thing led to another and before you know it, I'm listening to the shellac stack and buried nose deep in the 1915 issue of Dainty Desserts for Dainty People, brought to you by Knox Gelatine. Of course I don't have the fancy swirly cone molds - yet - but I made the recipe and it came out so sparkly and tasty I just had to share, even though my picture looks absurdly inedible. I blame fluorescent lighting and a camera phone.

1915 Jelly! Jelloeb0
Back to top Go down
the_librarian
the_librarian

Number of posts : 278
Title : the_librarian
Registration date : 2008-01-07

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 3:10 am

That is absolutely cool! After looking at the recipe, you must have tremendous patience to be able to cook and assemble it. I would have given up halfway through! Picture looks pretty good to me!

So, does one refrigerate this stuff or can it be left out? I guess the question is silly, but I honestly don't know.....

Nice scan on the cookbook!
Back to top Go down
http://history.writingwithtony.com
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 1:16 pm

That does look good- did you make the orange jelly from the recipe above?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 2:12 am

Sure did! The one on page 7, that is. Tomorrow I have an unexpected day off and I'm going to tackle a much more difficult recipe for savory tomato jelly with a spiced cream cheese center. Okay it sounds awful when I write it but it sounded really good when I saw it in the cookbook and I've been dying to try it for months. Ijust wish I had some of those divine antique jelly molds they show in the book! Did they ever truly exist? Or did they exist only in the mind of the commercial artist who created the illustrations? Who knows? I can dream, can't I?

They also have a recipe for spiced wine jelly. Tune in tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
the_librarian
the_librarian

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Hey,

Not to thread hijack, but you oughta start a blog or something. I mean, these are really neat! Lots of folks would be interested in these!!!!
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:02 pm

I guess the jelly molds would be on the order of muffin tins or small individual dishes. I have a couple single-serving cake molds that would suffice. They're aluminum from the 50s and usually have a holiday theme. I'm thinking that the 1915 version might be those copper molds- the kind people used to hang in their kitchens in the 70s?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 am

I would love to do a blog! I have really got to look in to that. Does yours cost anything, librarian?

Anyway, yesterday's experiment...

1915 Jelly! Tomatojl5

And my attempt...

1915 Jelly! Tomatoxe3

Gotta tell ya, this one was a toughie. And it wasn't all that great, even though when I was cooking the tomatoes it smelled SOOO GOOOOD, like sweet, clove-y ketchup. Oh, it was heaven. If I do it again - and I'm not saying I will - I'll use more salt in the tomatoes and not use any gelatine in the cream cheese mix at all. I think it would have been better if I just mixed it with a little milk to soften, and pastry-tubed it in between the halves.

On the bright side, this recipe has inspired me to try to make some homemade ketchup soon.

More as I find the courage...
Back to top Go down
the_librarian
the_librarian

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 10:15 am

Wow...I'm getting hungry! That is so cool! As far as the blog, nope, totally free so far! Some folks use wordpress or live journal, but I went with blogger (http://blogger.com) because it seems to work the best for me plus it will tie into any google accounts you might have.

See ya......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1915 Jelly! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1915 Jelly!   1915 Jelly! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1915 Jelly!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Housekeeper's Corner :: Cookbook-
Jump to: