The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Number of posts : 211
Title : Bright Young Thing
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 2:37 pm

finding drip coffee makers somewhat unsaticfactory, for years I've been using one of the Pryrex clear glass percolators (the variety made from the '30s, into the '50s)...like so:

Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Pyrex_coffee_percolator

In the past, a good rinse/wash has aways kept it in good odrer, but I've notcied since being here at home, stains have built up (especially in the (delicate) stem part -- which obviously, is imposible to give a scrub or baking soda cleaning. (I suspect it has something to do with the water here at home, since I never had a problem before.) With drips, I've always used the Run A Cycle With White Vinegar Method for a serious cleaning, but I'm unsure about doing so with old glass, sturdy thorough pyrex may be.

Sorry, I REALLY feel I ought to know this! Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://bygoneknits.blogspot.com/
SusieQT
I Really should be Working
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 4:00 pm

Can you fit a small bottle brush or pipecleaner into the stem? Perhaps a paste of baking soda & water would work if you can get something in there.

I've had good luck with a product called Lemi-shine for hard water stains on our coffee maker. I'm sure they have a website, but I get it at Wal-Mart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 5:49 pm

I don't think so -- it's very skinny. The only sized brush which would fit would be about the diameter of a mascara brush. Then, of course, it'd have to be long enough to get to the middle. I'd guess the stem is about 6" or so.
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:21 pm

I have some teensy brushes that came with baby bottles- perhaps that would be a place to look? They're about .5 cm in diameter. Otherwise, maybe something with carbonation, like club soda mixed with baking soda, would be able to work its way up there?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Hmmm -- both good ideas, thanks! (the latter sounds a bit like something from hs chem class! heehee!)
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Also, try filling the stem with coarse sea salt and some vinegar. Shake it well, and the salt should provide enough abrasion to clean it properly.
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 2:21 am

BygoneKnits wrote:
I don't think so -- it's very skinny. The only sized brush which would fit would be about the diameter of a mascara brush. Then, of course, it'd have to be long enough to get to the middle. I'd guess the stem is about 6" or so.

This is a really creepy thing to say, but the last time I saw something that looked like a mascara wand with a six inch stem my gyno was using it for a pap smear.

Maybe you can snake a few on your next visit.
Back to top Go down
the_librarian
the_librarian

Number of posts : 278
Title : the_librarian
Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 3:15 am

I was googling around looking up the Battle of Los Angeles and saw this post. I googled some more and saw this:

Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Carlisle_40154

Here's the quote:

"...Carlisle's 40154 Percolator/Creamer Brush is designed to clean spouts
and tubing on percolators, hot beverage servers and creamers. Also
designed to clean all glass and Pyrex pots and dispensers. Double sided
bristles...."

Here's a link: (I don't know a thing about the site, just found it....)

http://www.globeequipment.com/Catalog/CON!40154.html

Maybe that will help? Some of the above suggestions sound great, but being a guy, I would probably let the residue build up...it adds flavor! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://history.writingwithtony.com
the_librarian
the_librarian

Number of posts : 278
Title : the_librarian
Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 3:18 am

Geez, ya think I have a big enough picture? Grrr..I hate trying to work with images....sorry....
Back to top Go down
http://history.writingwithtony.com
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks, Librarian! I'll have to get one of those -- that's exactly like the one I used to have.

In the meantime, I managed to get things cleaned nicely, although it took some patience...

Throughly wash all parts of the percolator. carfully use one of those gentle scrubby sponges if necessary on flat surfaces (You know the ones? Not SOS, just the genle scubby side usually ffound on the revese side of many dishwashing sponges. Don't use any sort of cleaser, just dishwashing liquid.) Boil a full pot of distilled white vinegar, and let it perk on high. Continue until almost all of the vinegar has evaporated (don't let it all evaporate completely -- don't want to let the pot get dry!). Remove from heat, and let cool (it will continue perking for awhile, of course, just like coffee. When fully cool, pour out the remaining vinegar, and gently wash in warm, soapy water. This actually does quite a bit to help to loosen up built-up residue and stains. I repeated this four times. (until I ran out of vinegar). After you've removed all you can by possible by this method, use several Q-tips dipped in cold vinegar to remove any further residue/stains from the perking stem, and any other nooks and crannies, on both the interior and exterior on all parts. Then dip more q-tips in plain, clean water, and go over all those spots again. Rise the whole thing in more warm, soapy water -- Voila! Sparkly-clean!

Then run through a cycle of vinegar once a week. Use more Q-tips to clean the tricky spots if necessary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators   Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cleaning vintage pyrex coffee percolators
Page 1 of 1