The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Port Halcyon

Go down 
+7
Marlowe
Dread Scott
lindydiva
SusieQT
Mimi
Lost Soul
Jumpin' Jim
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dread Scott
I Really should be Working
Dread Scott

Number of posts : 269
Title : Rib Tickler
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Port Halcyon - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 1:38 pm

I think I'd pay cash money to see him in mufti. Does he allow himself to be photographed in his cabana wear?
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 2:10 pm

H'mm.

Let me see what I can dig up!
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 2:13 pm

Port Halcyon - Page 2 000_1007

There he is as a gas station attendant. The blonde is his wife, the farmer is my husband. (I'm the farmer's wife.)

The city gal next to me is Susie!

It's REALLY too bad I never got that picture of him with his head in the cooler. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 2:20 pm

HA! That's pretty good - is that from Reading? Y'all make quite the working-class mis-en-scene. How's that look in B&W?

Trust Joe to get the details right - down to the celluloid bowtie.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 3:09 pm

I don't have PhotoShop.

Feel free!

As for Joe being...er...detail oriented? Oh, yes. Laughing

(ZSC, get over here and defend yourself!)
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:16 pm

I've downloaded it to my desktop, and will mess around with it.

... And truly, Mr. Coot... C'mon in!
Back to top Go down
MoonMoth
Dipping a Toe in the Water

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Jumpin' Jim wrote:
It looks like Port Halcyon re-emerged from the depths.

Indeed. For almost a year, PH was cut off from its database. Now it does look like it has returned.

Regardless of the intent of whomever flipped the PH switch back on, I'd encourage folks here to continue supporting what Mimi started here in January. It's stable, friendly, and community-driven!

Yes, the volume is down but like I mentioned before, the quality is higher! And continue to recruit ex-PH'ers and Atomicians here!
Back to top Go down
http://longmontian.blogspot.com
the_librarian
the_librarian

Number of posts : 278
Title : the_librarian
Registration date : 2008-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:10 am

Love that term: Atomicians! Sounds retro!
Back to top Go down
http://history.writingwithtony.com
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 7:06 am

Thanks, MM!

We think we have something pretty nice here...it's cozy, we know each other, etc...

Which isn't to say that we don't want new members, we'd love to see some of the Old Timers we lost track of. But I think a LOT of folks went to the Fedora Lounge and we can't compete with that volume!
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:53 am

Mimi wrote:
Thanks, MM!

We think we have something pretty nice here...it's cozy, we know each other, etc...

Which isn't to say that we don't want new members, we'd love to see some of the Old Timers we lost track of. But I think a LOT of folks went to the Fedora Lounge and we can't compete with that volume!

Yes, It's FL is a good site (and it's somewhat Texas-based, which is good for me) - but the high volume is a bit daunting, too. It can be difficult to keep up with all that reading, and it doesn't quite have the same vibe. They are a little more object oriented, as apposed to vintage/retro lifestyle oriented, as here. Well, as I see it, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:02 pm

It's a good job we're not selling anything and therefore don't have to compete. There's no weird gun thing over here either. Which is nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Well, the gun fetish doesn't bother me too much, living here in Texas, where gun culture/hunting is just about a given. Even I have a shotgun (1930's, and inherited). The vintage arms they often show are pretty impressive, though. However, some of those FLers have copious artillery - which kind of makes you wonder.
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Ha. Based on some on their Political Posts, I don't wonder AT ALL.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Well, there were ripples I picked up of political talk, but I've personally never seen any posts telling me much one thing or another about the posters there.

But, I will tell you that I have friends that are very left-leaning and others who are right wingers who are all gun nuts/enthusiasts (I am not, though I have no problem with firearms as such - and have occasionally enjoying target/skeet shooting). Of course, it seems it seems like if you go far enough in either direction, both sides will end up in the same extreme place, differing only in details.

I find jingoistic, knee -jerk people pretty tiresome, generally. You can't really have a conversation with people like that. And I found the recent gun-purchasing frenzy pretty laughable.
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:31 pm

The politics got banned there a while ago. A few years ago, when I first went there, they had a political forum that was god-awful. They also had an unspoken policy of "allowing" any racial slurs that were subtle and I took issue with it.

Their answer was that I should not visit if I did not like the decor.

They suck. Basically.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 12:30 am

Well, that's just miserable - which is too bad because there are some good posters there. And, I think, a good portion of the Social Club is on there some...
Back to top Go down
MoonMoth
Dipping a Toe in the Water

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:52 am

Dread Scott wrote:
And, I think, a good portion of the Social Club is on there some...

It's funny because after the demise of PH, I tried to get on FL but they had some archaic policy of not accepting accounts created with common web-based email acccounts (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc.) and they outright rejected my application a few times.
Back to top Go down
http://longmontian.blogspot.com
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 5:39 am

I managed to get an account but thought better of actually posting anything. I find it quite hard getting into new forums and, aside from the semi-automatic fetish, found the atmosphere a little chilly.

I've always thought that Atomic/PH/The Social Club had a little of the old punk aesthetic whereas the Fedora Lounge's forte is more historical and perhaps a tad stuffy. I'll admit my opinions are based on very few visits to the board though

Correct me if I'm wrong but they frown on smut over there don't they?
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 7:58 am

And how they frown upon it!

to the extent, that ladies can not even post photos or links to photos of underthings...
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 8:48 am

Chaps showing each other their huge weapons; hostility or indifference toward the female form; it's all adding up. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 8:50 am

See?

No place for us!

And I love the punk aesthetic, it makes us cooler.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 pm

OI!
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Port Halcyon - Page 2 Readingww2warm" border="0" />Port Halcyon - Page 2 Readingww2technicolor" border="0" />Port Halcyon - Page 2 Readingww2desatlight" border="0" />Port Halcyon - Page 2 Readingww2bwgrain" border="0" />Port Halcyon - Page 2 Readingww2bw" border="0" />Port Halcyon - Page 2 Readingww2desat" border="0" />

There you go Lindy! I had to stop myself after a while... it's like eating potato chips. As you can see, some are different B&W versions, and a couple of color ones - "technicolor" and desaturated.

Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Smile Ha!

I think we look progressively more dissipated.
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Can you photoshop 20 pounds off of me?
I had my daughter about 6 weeks prior and it shows! Laughing

In any case, I much prefer this place to what passes for PH these days and to the FL for what the others already mentioned. I've posted there some under the handle of Sweet Leilani, but I just don't get the sense of community there that we have here. I always find myself getting sucked into the "Show me your vintage xxx" threads and that kind of "I have more vintage toys than you do" game is just not good for the scene.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Port Halcyon
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Membership Committee :: Welcome Wagon!-
Jump to: