The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Port Halcyon

Go down 
+7
Marlowe
Dread Scott
lindydiva
SusieQT
Mimi
Lost Soul
Jumpin' Jim
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jumpin' Jim
Dipping a Toe in the Water
Jumpin' Jim

Number of posts : 27
Title : The keeper of the Neo-Swing Flame
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 12:05 am

It looks like Port Halcyon re-emerged from the depths. It's a ghost town: I think everyone who was posting there has moved over here!
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 am

I'm pretty sure it's dead and buried and has been since last year. That's the whole reason that Mimi kindly put the effort in to set this place up; nobody had the time or inclination to maintain The Cafe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 am

Well, one of the folks was trying to buy it from Dante, FOR FIVE THOUSAND BUCKS, if you can believe that, but he was having trouble getting the first installment together.

Gentleman that he is, Dante pulled the plug on the server. (forgive my bitterness here, but he's got it coming from me.)

So, even if it is resurrected indeed, I am Finished with that particular incarnation, but bear no hard feelings to anyone who wants to take it for a spin!

I'm quite happy here, and all the folks I loved from there are here, so this is Home!
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 7:14 am

And what, exactly, would one have received in return for $5,000?

A name and an empty forum?
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
I Really should be Working
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Well, at least we can search the archives for all those wonderful threads from back in the day. I really miss those days when you could have a running conversation with folks all day long... Sad Not that I have that kind of time anymore (and I guess none of us do).
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 4:36 pm

I think I joined PH too late anyhow as there was never any conversation while I was on there; just people ignoring whatever post had gone before and then writing something about themselves.

I'd love to have online interaction with people but there's none to be found anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:24 pm

I know. I wish I could be online more, now that I can't. I really took for granted all that time I had on my hands when I didn't work!
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 12:48 pm

SusieQT wrote:
Well, at least we can search the archives for all those wonderful threads from back in the day. I really miss those days when you could have a running conversation with folks all day long... Sad Not that I have that kind of time anymore (and I guess none of us do).

No kidding!

Remember the song titles war I had with Joe? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Number of posts : 269
Title : Rib Tickler
Registration date : 2008-10-16

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 2:27 am

*sigh* those were the days... and I am going back to the old Atomic as well.
Back to top Go down
Marlowe
Marlowe

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 11:23 am

Wow! Seeing that stuff was...depressing! Before PH closed the first time, I actually saved a few threads with words of wisdom from Zootsuitcoot and a few other favorite threads---even the contentious ones! When I joined in 2003, I couldn't wait to get home from work and see what everyone was up to! For a small period of time, Atomic/PH was great.
Back to top Go down
http://hollywooddreamland.blogspot.com/
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 3:04 pm

Quote :

No kidding!

Remember the song titles war I had with Joe? Laughing

I know- that's exactly the thread I was thinking of!!! I haven't found it yet- I'm sure the title has nothing to do with the contents (as was the case with all the best discussions!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Marlowe wrote:
Wow! Seeing that stuff was...depressing! Before PH closed the first time, I actually saved a few threads with words of wisdom from Zootsuitcoot and a few other favorite threads---even the contentious ones! When I joined in 2003, I couldn't wait to get home from work and see what everyone was up to! For a small period of time, Atomic/PH was great.

Yup - I know what you mean. I was a daily reader, if not daily poster of both, mostly in Summer, when I had more time. That's the way things go, though... all the best things I've been involved with usually build to a crescendo, then die out. It's just very hard to maintain a high level of activity, especially when (as it almost always does) it depends on the tremendous time and effort of a very few.

It's sad - though not uncommon- for them to end on sour notes, as it did with Atomic, and possibly with PH.
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 9:12 pm

That's sort of the point, though, it didn't HAVE to depend on the time and effort of a "very few."

More than several of us VOLUNTEERED our time and talents for FREE to keep things going. We were blown off, ignored or worse.

So, I was forced to assume, since no one answered my emails, that the DESIRED result was attained--a large active community and well-written site TO SELL FOR PROFIT.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:36 am

Mimi wrote:
That's sort of the point, though, it didn't HAVE to depend on the time and effort of a "very few."

More than several of us VOLUNTEERED our time and talents for FREE to keep things going. We were blown off, ignored or worse.

So, I was forced to assume, since no one answered my emails, that the DESIRED result was attained--a large active community and well-written site TO SELL FOR PROFIT.

Oh, yes, Mimi, I remember a number of people offering to help keep it going. I didn't really know that volunteers were being ignored, though... which is sad. I have seen other sites kept alive with volunteers, after the originators left.

Was the whole PH site included for the 5 grand, or was that just for the message board? I guess it doesn't matter, except I think that $5000 is a lot for a message board, no matter the size and activity.

Speaking of... where's Dr. Swankenstein, who was trying to buy PH/ the board?
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 10:58 am

The 5k was for the whole kit and caboodle. The problem is, at the time, the views had dropped off so considerably that it was no longer really a Vital Site, if you know what I mean. At one time, it would have been valuable--the content was fresh and frequent, the Cafe was packed to capacity. When it started to decline, they wanted to bail.

We had plenty of material to publish, but no one had time. When the unique content got stale, the Cafe cleared out, too.

:shrug:

Water under the bridge. Now that I have a handle on my work/home schedule balance, I'll be here a lot more and I want to expand.

Oh, and I haven't heard from Swank in quite a while. I tried to help him out when he was having trouble with the first installment-I was going to email and post and set up a Paypal account for donations, but he also stopped writing. So--we have The Social Club!! And I have a wonderful crew of volunteers who I trust when I'm not here, and it looks fantastic because Lost Soul is a graphics GENIUS. With a twisted mind and too much time on his hands!!
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:05 pm

Mimi wrote:
Lost Soul is a graphics GENIUS. With a twisted mind and too much time on his hands!!

... and an exceptional mustache, I believe.

Well, I of course miss the glory days of Atomic/PH, but am very pleased to be here now. My thanks to you - and your volunteers!
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Thank you kind Sir but you are probably referring to The Handlebar (RIP).

I'm more than happy to thrash anyone that really wants me to but when one merely desires to go about his daily business without constant (and audible) criticism, a handlebar is not the 'tache' to have.

I now have a 'pencil' which, while still terribly offensive to certain forms of lower life, is much easier to live with.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Thank you kind Sir but you are probably referring to The Handlebar (RIP).

I'm more than happy to thrash anyone that really wants me to but when one merely desires to go about his daily business without constant (and audible) criticism, a handlebar is not the 'tache' to have.

I now have a 'pencil' which, while still terribly offensive to certain forms of lower life, is much easier to live with.

Whereas I recall The Handlebar (may it's memory be honored), I was refering the the pencil. I tried to have one once, with miserable results - take the goatee away from my avatar and scribble in a pencil, and you'll see what I mean. Lord, I looked sleazy - and I was trying to look like William Powell. I later had a somewhat fuller 'stache with a goatee, which wasn't quite so unpleasant, but still pretty oily looking (on me, anyway - I thought I looked like "the Kid" from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. Not everyone agreed.). In each case, I found my mustache to be a high-maintenance endeavor - forever trying to get just the right shape, and trying to correct mismanaged timmings. Sometimes, I'd go a whole day with mismatched sides to the thing.

So - My hat if off to your Magnificent, Minimalist, yet Manly, Mustache.
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 7:39 am

An even more pleasing compliment then.

I think you should try again as I can't picture a pencil moustache looking bad on anyone who has the ability to grow one- hormonally-imbalanced ladies excepted.

Having said that, I quite like the sleazy, oily look anyway. See Private Walker of Dads' Army fame:

Port Halcyon Image11_WEB

I couldn't find a decent quality picture.
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 9:33 am

There is something delightfully smarmy about a gent with a pencil 'stache!
Back to top Go down
GirlieGirl
GirlieGirl

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Is there any chance of getting Joe onboard over here?
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 4:37 pm

GirlieGirl wrote:
Is there any chance of getting Joe onboard over here?

...Speaking of 'staches.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 9:56 am

I've tried, folks.

It's tough, though.

He's very busy over in S.F. He and his wife are constantly on the run, with work and with play. (Trust Joe! )

He works for the same place, but remotely, and has had some promotions, too. Hence, even more responsibility. (Though he'll argue he's just more disreputable.)

I'll keep at him. Jimmy & I haven't even seen them since March, when we went out to Yosemite for the Ahwahnee festivities, but we call one another at EC and WC cocktail times and shoot the breeze.
Back to top Go down
Dread Scott
Dread Scott

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:49 am

I see him pop up in the Gatsby Weekend pics, and other events, well turned out, as ever.

Truly a gent.
Back to top Go down
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 12:27 pm

Yes, he's as elegant as ever.

And his wife has succeeded in getting him to wear *gasp* casual clothes! Laughing (When we were dating he didn't even OWN a short-sleeved shirt.)

Since she's so talented in tailoring and dressmaking she's made him some wonderful things, and he picks my husband's brain to get ideas for casual 30s looks. (You should see them plotting and swapping ideas...it's great.)

Next time we talk I'll see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Port Halcyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Port Halcyon   Port Halcyon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Port Halcyon
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Membership Committee :: Welcome Wagon!-
Jump to: