The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Germaine Montiel

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Number of posts : 211
Title : Bright Young Thing
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Germaine Montiel Empty
PostSubject: Germaine Montiel   Germaine Montiel Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Anyone know if Germaine Montiel cosmetics are still around? (I've seen perfume occasionally, but that's it. ) My mom still raves to no end about her lipstick (the long, skinny variety, and tres elegant), which she bought at Bonwit's in Boston in the '50s.
Back to top Go down
http://bygoneknits.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

Germaine Montiel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Germaine Montiel   Germaine Montiel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 am

Oh, I haven't thought about her in ages!
Wow...good question...we must Look Into This.
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Germaine Montiel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Germaine Montiel   Germaine Montiel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 1:52 pm

I found lots of neat ads on e-bay, and an old unopened box of loose power (Eeew. Vintage Cosmetics is one thing which I can't imagine collecting, much less using. I have some lovely compacts, which I don't hesitate about using, but they receive a through cleaning first...photos of them still containing used, 80-year-old powder/lipstick/rouge just turns my stomach.)

Anyway, I did a wee bit of research after asking my mom last night if she knew anything (which just set her off again on the lipsticks, and how she was devoted to them -- apparently, the VERY first company to do the long, skinny lipsticks -- the containers were also oval in shape, and gold, and super-expensive, compared to, say, Revlon, which in those days was a splurge compared to most stuff.) A google search didn't turn up much, except for a snippet from the NYT archives. Seems Revlon bought the brand in 1987...but I guess they then must have eliminated everything save for a couple of colognes?) Ugh. they couldn't manage to have a high-end line? Why bother if you're not going to use the products, or even the name? It also said that at the time, they were negotiating to purchase Yves St. Laurent cosmetics and perfumes, but neither company would comment. (I assume that fell through.)
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525

Germaine Montiel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Germaine Montiel   Germaine Montiel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 2:03 pm

The YSL lipsticks were, as of a few years ago, Truly Exceptional.
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
I Really should be Working
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Germaine Montiel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Germaine Montiel   Germaine Montiel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Perhaps the Vermont Country Store can hunt it down or find a new manufacturer? They seem to be able to find lots of things.
Back to top Go down
BygoneKnits
Admin
BygoneKnits

Germaine Montiel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Germaine Montiel   Germaine Montiel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Seriously! I don't know how they manage to find so many seemingly long-gone things. Nothing fancy, but fun stuff nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Germaine Montiel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Germaine Montiel   Germaine Montiel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Germaine Montiel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Fashion & Beauty :: Hair & Makeup-
Jump to: