The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Victory Gardens

Go down 
+10
MoonMoth
SusieQT
MaryDeluxe
Mina
Ali
the_librarian
RetroKitten
Mimi
Lost Soul
Kittenwithawhip
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What kind of Victory Garden will you be planting this year?
I'm a purist - only heirlooms and vintage products.
Victory Gardens Vote_lcap10%Victory Gardens Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
All organic, all the time.
Victory Gardens Vote_lcap0%Victory Gardens Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Only modern plants and products that promise bumper crops.
 10% [ 1 ]
A mix of whatever the hell I want.
Victory Gardens Vote_lcap50%Victory Gardens Vote_rcap
 50% [ 5 ]
A weed in an old pot of dirt, if I'm lucky.
Victory Gardens Vote_lcap20%Victory Gardens Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
None. People who dig in the dirt for fun are crazy.
 10% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Kittenwithawhip
I Really should be Working
Kittenwithawhip

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 6:21 pm

After many years of wishing I could do it, I've finally convinced my neighbor to let me commandeer her back yard. She has an enormous sunny yard with nothing in it. It's been fallow so long that the soil has become one giant slab of brick. Even weeds have trouble rooting up in it. On the other hand, I have a great little garden but almost no sunshine, certainly not enough to have any food crops. So, we got together and she got her chocolate on my peanut butter, so to speak, and we decided to share the garden space.

I've been over there the past month pickaxing, hoeing, spreading gypsum, fertilizer and compost. Now, it's ready to go!

I'm wondering how far to take my victory garden this year, now that I have some room. Should I stick to heirlooms that were around during the war years? Should I sneak in a few modern varieties with better disease resistance or higher yields? Has anybody got some suggestions for what sort of beautiful beans or squash or something I should add to the garden for edible loveliness?

I want to hear what all of you gardeners will be doing this year. I'm so excited about having such a big plot of land for once!
Back to top Go down
Lost Soul
I get my mail here.
Lost Soul

Number of posts : 552
Title : Holy Prophet
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:34 am

We have no such luxury, being in a tiny first floor flat.
A couple of years ago we took on a huge allotment, that had not been tended for years. Unfortunately the bindweed had taken hold and it was just no fun.

So, just a few pot plants for us (no, not pot; that stuff does me no favours).

I'd love to grow a few varieties of chili and in theory I could stick some pots outside in the 'communal garden area'.
Back to top Go down
http://www.proletkultgraphik.co.uk
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 6:44 pm

Well, after a few years in the house and working mostly on the inside, I'm hoping to get the yard in some kind of order this year.

We have a nice lilac bush and a small-ish rose bush in front, and the daffodils are up and so is my hyacinth.

What I'd like is a LOT of lavender, so I plan on that. My back yard is nice and flat and square, and the Kid has a HUGE football (soccer) goal at the back of it. So. I usually only plant grass back there and try to keep it nice and short.

There's a small spot with a bench, that I'd like to do something, but I have ZERO landscaping imagination...
Back to top Go down
RetroKitten
Dipping a Toe in the Water
RetroKitten

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 8:30 pm

I'm finally going to have a yard to start a garden when we move. I had mostly planned on herbs for now and see how that goes. I'm hoping I'll do better at outdoor gardening. Everything I've ever planted inside that wasn't a succulent or cactus has died a fairly speedy death. Lavender is on my list, as well as basil, chives, rosemary, sage and thyme.
Back to top Go down
http://ingenue.blog.com
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 10:14 pm

The important part is lots of sunshine. More sun = tastier herbs and more flowers. I get people all the time who wonder why their rosemary isn't growing well in the living room or why their flowers are dying when they water it every day (too bad their pot doesn't have a hole in it for drainage). Well, no one is born knowing this stuff. We all have to kill a few plants before we figure it out.

Mimi, is your bench in the shade or in the sun? And do you get snow in the winter?
Back to top Go down
the_librarian
the_librarian

Number of posts : 278
Title : the_librarian
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 3:25 am

I'll try to once again bust through the clay in our yard and pray to the garden gods that something shows up edible! Last year I went nuts with the garden catalogs and threw some whacked up stuff in the dirt.

This year, it's back to good and safe peppers, tomatoes and strawberries...if I can keep the rabbits out of the strawberries!
Back to top Go down
http://history.writingwithtony.com
Ali
Ali

Number of posts : 462
Title : Proud Bad Example

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 5:49 am

Until we have something more than a windowsill to garden in, its the old weed in the pot.
Back to top Go down
http://acossylife.blogspot.com/
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 8:29 am

The bench area is at the corner of the house,and it does get some sun. Not all day, though, about mid-morning and for a few hours. There are a tons of Tiger Lillies that come up every year just next to it, on one side.

It isn't a large spot that's open, but I thought something colorful would be pretty there.

Things seem to grow well in the dirt we have, I just haven't really put anything out much. Did some Vencas last year, and they were fine. But they don't come back each year...
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 11:17 pm

OOOh I LOVE Tiger Lilies! Are they orange? I have Tiger lilies growing out of a bed of bright indigo Lobelia. Looks great. Maybe that will work for you too?
Back to top Go down
Mina
Mina

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 9:12 am

Last year I finally put in a raised bed for herbs and vegetables. I tend toward heirloom plants that I get at Plimoth Plantation. I had good luck with lovage, savory, thyme, basil (just finished the last of the frozen pesto), and some fun tomatoes. Less fortunate with chives (something kept digging them up), squash, and calendula. I also have some wormwood in a pot that I raised from seed. Plans for this year include fava beans and Concord grapes to take advantage (and hide) the ugly fence the neighbors put up.

The front garden has a sour cherry tree and I'd like to put in a quince. Most of the flowers are in the front, but they're not particularly abundant or exciting. I'm slowly replacing the front lawn with low-growing things that aren't grass. I hate mowing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bostonbabydolls.net
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 11:55 pm

Y'know, I really like the silky look of the calendula petals but I don't really know what to DO with them. I mean yeah you can make face cream with them or put them in your rice, but they don't taste like anything and they don't do much other than color your liquid, so...what's the point? They spread out nicely, though. I dunno. Maybe I'll try some next year.

I noticed that this year I'm definitely leaning toward purple things. Purple Cherokee tomatoes, Burgundy pole beans, purple carrots, purple bell peppers. I should really throw in some orange things for contrast or my garden will just look bruised.

I have the most marvelous lemon thyme called "Green lemon", and it smells like Lemonheads candy. It makes a great tea but even better cookies and it can't be beat as a green mulch. My single plant is now a dense, fragrant mat 2 feet square. No weed can find purchase! Bwa ha ha!
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 am

The lillies are orange and there three nice beds of them--on either side of the stairs to the deck, and then at the far end of the deck. I love them! They're really tall and bloom for months.

The bench is amidst one of the beds, beside the deck steps. I want something colorful to mix in, behind the bench.

What I also want, is a nice mix of color for the front bed. It's about six feet long and about 2 feet wide, just below the front porch, runs alongside the sidewalk to the back. There's a lot of the foundation showing, too, so I want something tall at the back, and then something that will fill the front portion of the bed.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:38 am

Yeah, lots! Is it all sunny there?
Back to top Go down
Mimi
Admin
Mimi

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 8:37 am

The front of the house gets the morning sun, and some amount for most of the day.

I really like a lot of color, and a lot of bang for my buck, because my budget is straining. So whatever is bright and cheap and not too much maintenance. I will work on the beds, but probably not daily. Hell, maybe not even weekly if I can be at the pool! I do pull the weeds and that sort of thing, though, and set up the sprinkler if we're having a dry spell.
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 11:51 pm

Hotbiscus is a new kind of psychadellic-colored hibiscus. Sun Parasol Crimson Mandevilla is a short vine or large shrub coveres with dark green leaves and clear red flowers about the size of trumpet vine flowers. I'd pair it with comething blue and creeping, like Dwarf Plumbago or Crystal Palace Lobelia

Sorry that first link won't code up no matter what I do.
Back to top Go down
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 11:52 pm

If my stupid links don't work just google the names. Sheesh I've never had so much trouble.
Back to top Go down
MaryDeluxe
MaryDeluxe

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Here's a look at my back garden...things are growing in nicely. I haven't planted my veggies yet, this weekend!

Victory Gardens 2465358071_264373efec
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Lovely- can't wait to see it in bloom!

Our garden is coming along. We've planted some things outside already- asparagus & strawberries (perennials), peas, brussels sprouts, onions, broccoli, lettuce & spinach. The corn, green beans and sunflowers are just sprouting. The tomatoes and peppers are sitting on the windowsills; we'll give them another week or two before they get planted outside. I still have to get my herb beds ready- I'm kind of late this year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
MoonMoth

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 12:16 am

MaryDeluxe wrote:
Here's a look at my back garden...things are growing in nicely. I haven't planted my veggies yet, this weekend!

Very impressive!

Here out west at altitude, Mother's Day signals the end of the frost season I started a few things indoors weeks ago and can't wait to get my plants in the ground.
Back to top Go down
http://longmontian.blogspot.com
Kittenwithawhip
Kittenwithawhip

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 11:38 pm

I had the BEST crop this year! I planted only one Butternut squash plant and I got DOZENS of squash! I just yanked out the vine even though it still had a few squash coming up. I've made ravioli and something called, I think, Baloo involving sauteed squash, yogurt and mint. I still have about 20 squash waiting to made into pies, cakes and dinners. Luckily they last MONTHS. Perhaps have enough for the rest of the year. As in, the next 12 months.

The purple Cherokee tomoatoes went crazy too. I made a mess of Chutney with them, and I'm using the last of the vine for fried green tomatoes.

I love edible gardens!
Back to top Go down
MoonMoth

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 11:24 am

Kittenwithawhip wrote:
I had the BEST crop this year!

Me too! The cucumbers have never been better, the tomatoes too, and the pumpkins are in fine form, heading down the stretch. My only downer was that I tried sweet corn again, after a five-year absence. The corn did fine, but unfortunately some varmints agreed with that! Raccoons, maybe.
Back to top Go down
http://longmontian.blogspot.com
lindydiva
I get my mail here.
lindydiva

Number of posts : 875

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 9:10 am

*bump*

What are you all planting this year?

Even with our small amount of soil (the rest still under asphalt, for Heaven's sake) we've planted three raspberry canes (black, golden and red), and in containers: thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano, red leaf lettuce, and my husband has started some peas and green beans to transplant to the area near the raspberries.
Back to top Go down
http://artdecodivaknits.blogspot.com/
Mina
Mina

Registration date : 2008-03-07

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 10:07 am

Our sour cherry tree is not quite in full bloom. Every blossom is a potential cherry...

We've also got Concord grape vines, new as of last year. I hope they fruit this year.

Other than the fruit and some perennial herbs (lovage, tarragon, thyme, wormwood, lavender), I've got no idea what I'm going to grow this year. Basil for sure. Tomatoes were a dismal failure last year, but I'm willing to try again. I've only got a teeny-tiny patch and a few half-barrels, so nothing that needs a lot of room.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bostonbabydolls.net
GirlieGirl
GirlieGirl

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:20 pm

I'm not the world's best gardener, but I'm giving it a go this year in my kitchen window - at least until the frost is past. The Dude (hubby) planted 9 jalapeno seeds back in February, so we had 9 plants come up. I just "adopted out" three plants to one of his co-workers, and another three will go to friends. The three we have are doing really well - about 4-6" tall so far . I'm hoping to get some peppers in the next two months.
Back to top Go down
SusieQT
SusieQT

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Ours is well under way. So far it's all coming up from seed: tomatoes and peppers (bell and hot), corn, beans, peas, onions, spinach, lettuce (still surviving from last fall thanks to the cold frame!), cukes, squash and pumpkins. The strawberries and asparagus are coming back but don't seem as robust as last year- hopefully they just need a little fertilizer. I've got herbs in pots as well. Funny, just as I'm typing this the "Pot Patrol" helicopter flew over. The state police have a helo that surveys everyone's yard from the air to make sure they aren't growing anything illicit! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.dvhaa.org
Sponsored content

Victory Gardens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Victory Gardens   Victory Gardens Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Victory Gardens
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Social Club :: Housekeeper's Corner :: Cookbook-
Jump to: