The Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Sewing Room

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Miss Roulette
I Really should be Working
Miss Roulette

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-02-21

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 am

I'm trying to organise my sewing room.

At the moment I have a large table where my sewing machine sits. I'd like to get another table for my overlocker (serger) as at the moment it stays on the floor until I need to use it, which is inconvinent and takes up time moving it.

I have all my fabric and patterns in large plastic tubs which are stacked up by the wall. I find it very messy and not easily accessable (particularly as I have a large mending pile that sits on top of the plastic tubs Embarassed ).

So I am wondering what your tips and hints would be for a better organised sewing room.

Do you have a sewing cabinet? If so what one. I'm thinking of either buying a cabinet or just another table to make my existing table in to an L shape.

How do you organise your patterns?

Where do you store your fabric stash?
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophistikitten.net
kamikat
Dipping a Toe in the Water
kamikat

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-02-03

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 am

My mother-in-law gave me a very nice L shaped table for my birthday last year. I LOVE it! I use a chair with wheels so I can roll from my sewing machine to my serger really quick. It also folds up, which was nice when I used to sew in the dinning room. Now that I have my own sewing room, I never fold it up. My only complaint is that it doesn't have much in the way of drawers. I also use big plastic tubs for my fabrics, but have them sorted by fiber. One tube is all wool, one tub is all linen and cotton, one tub is all knits, the other tub is all children's fabrics and other novelties. So far, it's the best I've come up with. I keep my patterns in a pattern box, one box from modern patterns, one box from vintage.
Back to top Go down
Miss Roulette
Miss Roulette

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 9:20 am

Sorting by fibre is a very good idea.

What is a pattern box? I was thinking of buying some folders with plastic inserts and putting the patterns in the inserts. That way I can easily see what I want. But that might be just as bulky as a box.
Back to top Go down
kamikat
kamikat

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:25 am

I'll try to find a place online that has them. I bought them nearly 15 years ago in a local fabric store. It may be something that can't be had any more.
Back to top Go down
kamikat
kamikat

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 11:27 am

Here we go! It's a bit fancier than what I have, but is basically the same. Nancy's Notion sells them for $12.98 for a set of 3 boxes. I don't know if they sell to the UK, but I imagine you should be able to find something similar.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/viaImagePageTacony.jsp?searchText=PD893&pd=PATTERN%20FILE%20BOXES%20SET%20OF%203

The Sewing Room Pd893
Back to top Go down
RetroKitten
RetroKitten

Number of posts : 46

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 2:06 pm

I keep my patterns in comic book boxes which works well for all of my average sized patterns. The bigger ones would be better off in the boxes that kamikat uses. As far as organizing the rest of the sewing room, I'm afraid that's something I need help with too.
Back to top Go down
http://ingenue.blog.com
Miss Roulette
Miss Roulette

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 4:11 pm

Oh I see, they look good. I might have a look round and see if I can find anything similar but Nancy's Notions does international shipping.

I should probably have a bit of a go on my to mend pile as well, that would certainly reduce my clutter!
Back to top Go down
Delirium

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-04-06

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 6:23 pm

My sewing room is quite little, so it's a bit of a squeeze.

I've got a nice wardrobe that my clothes outgrew. In that there's two Ikea sweater hangers that take most of the fabric and one of the smaller shoe sort of sized hanger things that takes little drawers. That holds zips and bits and bobs like that. There's a big drawer in the bottom of the wardrobe that takes patterns perfectly and boning. It' keeps it all contained and the mess behind doors.

Other than that there's a big desk for the main machine, a bookcase for sewing, costume, fashion and art books. Another small bookcase with ikea patterned boxes full of magazines mostly and a couple of shelve. I've got a couple of plastic units meant for nails and screws that I got from Lidl. They take thread and I can see what's there.

Along the other spare long wall we rigged up a long shelf at desk height. It's about a foot deep and has three legs from B&Q to support it so it can take my old Singer 99 and the grommet press, bolt cutters etc. It's good as it's opposite the main desk so I can just swivel round.

I need to get a carpet down as it's a laminate floor and, being an old flat, uneven. Sometimes my chair goes a-wandering away from the machine on it's own accord!
Back to top Go down

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:21 am

Delirium wrote:
it's a laminate floor.

A capital crime, or should be!

Andy

'fanatical hatred of laminate flooring'
Back to top Go down
Delirium

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Blame the last owners... I hate it too! And it's cheap crappy stuff. Most of the rest of the flat is actual wood, does that get the sentence reduced?
Back to top Go down

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Oh, alright. As you have incredibly neat handwriting, I'll just recommend the ducking stool! Razz
Back to top Go down
Miss Roulette
Miss Roulette

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 7:28 am

Your sewing room sounds ideal, Delirium. I like the idea of having a wardrobe, or at least a tallboy, and hanging up fabric. Would certainly help keep creases out.
Back to top Go down
Delirium

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 5:38 pm

I've been staying out the road - avoiding the ducking stool! (Can't swim!)

The room could do with being twice the size for all the junk that's in it but it's ok. It's very un-retro though apart from a couple of old sewing machines and the pictures on the wall.
The wardrobe works well. An old gents wardrobe would be even better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Sewing Room Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sewing Room   The Sewing Room Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Sewing Room
Page 1 of 1