A meeting place for die-hard Retrophiles.

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Route 66 now on DVD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kittenwithawhip
I Really should be Working

Number of posts : 200
Title : Time Traveller
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Route 66 now on DVD   Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:39 pm

Actually it's been out since October but I just got my first disc yesterday and I've been watching it all day. For those of you who may not be hip to the show, it's about two guys who hit the mother road. Tod was a rich kid with all the best possible avenues, but whose father died leaving vast piles of debt, so all Tod has now is this bitchen' convertible 1960 corvette and his best pal Buzz. Buzz is tough "survivor" from Hells Kitchen who was hired on one of Tod's father's boats as a teen. Apparently the boys hit it off and have been best friends ever since. (Insert modern subtext here.) So they decide to hit the mother road and see America because hell, neither one of them really has anything to look forward to now. Along the way they visit many now-defunct towns, landmarks and mentalities, help out people in need, hire on as temporary help in many places, and have lots of great adventures.

The episodes are filled with MANY familiar faces, in fact sometimes I have difficulty finding a face I DON'T recognize from other films and television shows. The suspense and pacing are great, and the guys and locations are not hard on the eyes either. After knowing Martin Milner from Adam 12, it's strange to see him looking so young here. Young and completely splattered with freckles. Truly amazing.

Great shows too. A Sampling.

#1 - Buzz and Tod blow out their steering mechanism trying to get to Biloxi. They try to get their car fixed so they can continue on to some promised jobs, but the natives are unreasonably rude and offer the boys a choice of either pushing their own damn car 15 miles down the road to the next town or getting their asses kicked by just about every man in town, one after the other. What's the big mystery? Why does everybody want them gone?

#4 - Working on an oil derrick, the boys start following the suspicious behavior of one of their crewmates. Turns out he's a survivor from Aucshwitz, hunting down a nazi commander who's on the derrick too, only there are no photographs of what the man looks like, so they have to weed out the suspects one by one. Who will the nazi be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ali

Number of posts : 462
Title : Proud Bad Example

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 now on DVD   Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 am

Heard of the now defunct Route, but not the series. Sounds intriguing. This site is selling the entire series for $58.99.

Route 66
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://acossylife.blogspot.com/
Kittenwithawhip

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 now on DVD   Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:01 am

A lot of it was filmed on location along the Route, which makes it something of a time capsule now. I've always wanted to travel Route 66, or what was left of it. It's hardly something that would capture the attention of a two year old, though, so for now it'll have to go on hold. Maybe someday. In the meantime, there's always the series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kittenwithawhip

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 now on DVD   Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:04 am

Wow, I don't know who put that blurb together but they need a spell checker. Or maybe and English translator.

"...best known for its ironic Corvette convertible plus its intrumental theme song...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fume hood
Dipping a Toe in the Water

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 now on DVD   Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Its hilarious that I don't think they ever get on the Route. Oh I love love love this series!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Route 66 now on DVD   

Back to top Go down

Route 66 now on DVD
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1